Date: March 2023
Winter Roofing Inspection Checklist
As temperatures and winter conditions continue to worsen, your roof may be the last thing on your mind. Even during the tough months of our Canadian winter, maintaining your roof is an ongoing process. This means always being prepared for the worst, just in case. Visually inspections are an excellent way to identify and address potential winter issues. To help with the inspection process, take a look at our winter roofing checklist.
General Inspection Checklist
- Check for any irregularities of your roofing materials (rust, missing granules, missing shingles, etc.)
- Check to see if flashing around chimneys and on walls is sealed and watertight
- Look for signs of mold or algae forming on the roof surface
- Look for signs of leaks (rotting fascia, roof sagging, etc.)
- Check to see if heating cables are working and in the correct location
- Visually inspect the chimney, vents, flanges, etc.
Gutters and Debris
- Be sure to clean your gutters before the winter weather rolls in
- Clear all debris from the roof (sticks, leaves, dirt, rocks)
- Check your downspouts to ensure no clogging to avoid a possible ice backup
Interior Inspection Items
- Check the underside of your roof through a crawl space or through an attic
- Look for signs of water damage such as stains, mold, mildew, stains
- Examine the roof for sagging as well as the walls for possible water damage
- Ensure your attic’s insulation is dry and free of mold
- Check your vents to ensue proper airflow through your roof to avoid interior damage
- Clear vents of any debris
A winter roofing inspection checklist entails mentally assessing your home, taking the time to closely monitor the structural integrity of both the interior and exterior elements while also looking for any obvious signs of a potential problem. By performing a quarterly winter roof inspection, you are preparing yourself for a successful and relaxing holiday season while also preparing your roof for the months to come.
Findlay Roofing is here to help with all your roofing needs no matter the season. To get in contact with one of our experienced service reps click here or please don’t hesitate to call our office at (905)-702-7977.